Monday, November 5, 2012

Homemade Pickles, almost

For two years now I have planted cucumbers for making dill pickles and they have completely failed both times.  Even though mine failed I was able to buy a 20 lb box of pickle cucumbers from Wilco late in the summer when they had them for sale.  This was just something I wanted to try.


It was quite an operation to get 20 lb washed and cut up.  Evan and Mia were washing them, while Ethan and Momma were slicing and dicing.


I think Lily was just in charge of looking cute, or she might have been transporting pickles over to Momma.


I learned that you want to fit the pickles into the jars tightly so that you don't have to use too much pickling mix.


We successfully canned some, and then others were just put right into the fridge.  We have tried the ones in the fridge and much to my surprise they turned out great, and have a nice crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment