Thursday, January 20, 2011

Man shall not live on bread alone


But boy, does it sure smell so good and taste delicious when it comes right from the oven. I have been baking whole wheat bread now for, oh, I think about over a year now. I have gone through a few different recipes that I have found off of some blogs that I follow, but I have ended up with the one that I actually began with.  It is from Crystal Miller's blog, http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/. I love that I can make 6 loaves at a time. I used to make it about 2x's a month. But since our kids are growing and consuming more calories, especially when they work hard all day long on the farm, I am starting to make it closer to once a week.  Now ever since I started getting my organic flour from Azure Standard, a natural foods company online, our bread has tasted better and looks prettier. We use our bread for a lot of things. From the original P.B. and J, cheese and tomoato sandwhiches, to using it with soups or having toast for breakfast. I also have been starting to use the heels, even though our boys like them, for making bread crumbs and freezing them until we need them.  I love fresh bread crumbs. Crystal Miller  also uses her bread recipe for also making hamburger and hot dog buns and other pastries. I haven't tried the buns yet but I am eager to. We have gone back to buying bread a few times when life was just to busy, moving, during the sick part of pregnancies, or right after having a baby. But the first time after a break from bread baking I just soak in the smell while it bakes in the oven. It smells so good and we all enjoy the taste of fresh bread once again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment